Translate

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Mother always said, "If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, --come sit next to me!"  No, wait.  That was Miss Clairee from Steel Magnolias who said that.  My mother used to say something about if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.  OK not as witty as Miss Clairee, but good advice to live by nevertheless.

Guess that's why I haven't posted in a while...not much to report unless you want to hear the nitty-gritty details about my bout with the flu.  What's that you say, gentle Reader of Merriman Park?  Oh, that's what I thought...

These sconces sparkle more than a drag-queen on a Gay Pride float!
I did manage to get all the new crystal sconces hooked up --along with a second power strip!  Most of you, I understand, are going, "Whatever.  Big deal."  but you have to remember that this miniature electrical business is all marvelously new to me and I can't seem to touch so much as a grain of wheat bulb in this Brave, New World without causing a major black-out of epic proportions.  What can I say?  I'm the design-guy, and definitely not the tech-y guy!

I have to admit, I was just a trifle worried that having six double, crystal sconces in a 14 X 16 room might be just a tad bit of an overkill.  But now that they're all fired up I really like the repetition and it sort of makes the room seem --bigger, I dunno why--  maybe because they take your eye around the room?  God knows I'm a sucker for anything that sparkles  --if I wasn't a magpie in a previous existence, I most-certainly will come back as one in the next.  And you know my motto: "it's not done, until it's over-done!"

I also fired up my father's rusty, old, power miter box, which is positively ancient and I think it just might be one of the very first power miter boxes ever produced, which practically makes it an antique.  How I've managed to use it thus far without losing a finger or two (it has no guard)! is only proof-positive that something Divine is watching out for me. (I do mutter a little prayer each time before pressing the 'on' button), so high-five, ye Spirits who tend 'pon Mortal Thoughts!

Anyway, I needed the miter box to cut the resin crown molding, which I find almost impossible to saw by hand.  The saw blade heats the resin up to near-molten temperatures and there's such a gooey mess!  (And not in a good way). My father's Medieval behemoth made quick work of the resin molding but left a virtual blizzard of white shavings across the kitchen table and floor this morning:  it was like walkin' in a Winter Wonderland!  

Of COURSE I came up just a few inches shy of being able to finish the crown molding!  So now I'll have to order another piece...and then wait for it to come...and you know the drill....

Most of the baseboard (skirting) is in --no small feat!  Between all the corners around the six pilasters,  the niches, the fireplace chase, etc there were over fifty cuts to make --mostly compound miters.  Ugh!

Well, I told you there wasn't much to report on the Merriman Park front!  However, in other news, the miniatures blogosphere is positively a-twitter with recent exciting goings-on!  Simon at Miniature Enthusiast with his fabulous real-estate coups, Andy over at dollshouses and miniatures with his top-secret shenanigans, and Pedrete at ¡Hoy puede ser un gran dia! with his Chippendale Strippers I mean furniture...it all makes life here in li'l ol' Minneapolis seem absolutely duller than dishwater!

Have a great week!

25 comments:

Karin Corbin said...[Reply]

You really should move next door to me until you get that dollhouse finished. Then you could come over and borrow a miter saw or most any other tool you can think of.

I won't move next door to you, much too cold. But Seattle is having snow sprinkles today for the first time this winter. Snow sticking on the hills but not at my workshop, it is much warmer by the water since the water is warmer than the air.

Simon said...[Reply]

Hey John, you're too cute! Thanks for the mention, I am grabbing five minutes between the blue prints and building regs' !
I LOVE the lights, one can never have too much sparkle! And well dont with all those mitre cuts, I always manage to come up with a solution that gets me off that hook - no patience, me. I'm pleased to hear you are fully recovered now and am looking forward to seeing what you get up to this year at Merriman Park.
Best wishes
Simon

John said...[Reply]

Karin, sharing tools is a MAJOR commitment! Are you sure you want to take our relationship to that next,lofty level? ;)

There was more 'fake snow' from my saw than there is real on the ground outside here in Minneapolis this year!

John said...[Reply]

Hi, Si!

Ditto, dude! Can't wait to see the new property!

El caballero Metabólico said...[Reply]

Cuanto me alegro de que te gusten mis: "Muebles"... jajaja!!

How much I'm glad you like it my: furniture... hahaha!

John said...[Reply]

Let me know, Pedrete, when your Chippendale needs polishing.

El caballero Metabólico said...[Reply]

Jajajaja!!! Don't worry, you notify!!!

Fi.P said...[Reply]

Honey,
you and dishwater should never be in the same sentence!!!

Chippendale on the other hand......what was that you were saying about manthers???

Now back to miniatures, I love the wall sconces (is that a word?) definitely not overkill, a fab statement is what I call it!! And you lost me with all the mitre stuff.......how many joins was that???? You are a legend!!

I have been suspicious all along about secret goings on over at Doll house and Miniatures. Its awfully quiet over there, especially after the post mania before christmas.......we're on to you Andy!!!!

Glad to here a little spring in your step!!

ML Fi xx

Josje said...[Reply]

Boys,boys, settle down!! ;)
Love the lights John, I don't think there are too many.
I am also still cutting miters, don't have an ancient machine like yours though. Or a modern one for that matter. Doing it all by hand. And making many mistakes so I have to cut them again...Sigh. But worth it in the end!!

John said...[Reply]

Fiona, darling, I may have seen better days, but don't think I fancy having my good name linked to 'manthers!" Really!

Josje, I prefer cutting miters by hand, too --especially small bits, but the crown is an inch thick of hard resin and too tough for a hand saw! Good luck with your mitering!

Fi.P said...[Reply]

Of course my darling........I would never really think such a thing..........it was a good line though you have to admit????

Troy said...[Reply]

The lights look great and your post is pretty funny - you have a way with words! I am sorry you have to wait for a piece of molding to finish. Sound like my kind of luck.
The room is coming along great. I can't wait to see it when it is finished.

John said...[Reply]

Thanks, Troy! I'm glad you like my writing but I wish I were as prolific as you are! I'm really enjoying your writing, too.

Andy said...[Reply]

Hi John, I know how fiddly miniature mitre cutting can be, you've done a brilliant job! First class!

Like the lights too, you never can have too many! They bring a miniature house to life sometimes. The whole room is looking fab.

It's taking me ages to get my new post uploaded on my blog, lots of research required! Both that and my new dolls house project will be revealed ASAP! Thanks for the plug ;o) very kind of you!!

looking forward to seeing more soon!

Andy xx

Irene said...[Reply]

The lights look great, John. You've created a lovely room.

I'm no photographer but someone told me a while ago if I switched the setting to the little flower symbol I'd get sharper close up pics. I did, and it worked. I hope you don't mind me mentioning it but I'd love to see that room looking really sharp :-)

John said...[Reply]

Thanks, Andy! We're all pretty excited to see what you're up to --good luckwith it, whatever it may be!

Irene, darling, THANK you for the tip --my settings got all mixed up and as you can tell I haven't had much luck straightening it all out but I will definitely give the 'flower' a try.

Why a flower icon, I wonder? It just makes no kind of sense!

Melissa Boling said...[Reply]

John, I love all the lights and the molding is very impressive! Your way with words and your sense of humor make everything doubly interesting. :-)

I looked for a flower icon on my camera - I thought I had one, but when I looked it wasn't there! Mutter, mumble....

John said...[Reply]

OMG, hi Missy! I THOUGHT I had a flower icon, TOO --but I apparently do NOT! That is so weird...I would have SWORN there was one at one point.

I have the saddest life.

Melissa Boling said...[Reply]

Are we in the Twilight Zone???

Irene said...[Reply]

Hello John - You've probably got the right thingy available on your camera, it may just not be a flower symbol. According to my "idiot guide" you need to go to Scene (SCN) Mode. I've also got little arrows that will give you all the scene mode descriptions. My "flower" is good for 'close ups of flowers or other small subjects'. It's what I use if I'm less than 24" away from the subject. It may sound as if I know what I'm talking about, but I've got the manual on screen as I type! I hope that helps.

John said...[Reply]

Irene, your patience is extraordinary! I will not give up hope that I will be able to sort it all out before my next post.

What was that? An enormous, collective sigh of relief from the blogoshere?

Giac said...[Reply]

Hi John,
The room is wonderful!...too many lights, what nonsense! I think they create a beautiful soft glow around the room. The room is very grand and elegant, so why shouldn't there be lots of light to showcase all the beutiful detail you've worked so hard to make. Lighting might give you problems, but in the end you were victorious and it was well worth the effort!
Great, great work my friend.
all the best,
Giac

MiniLover said...[Reply]

The lights are great! I think the space is very inviting with all the warm light. Wanna come over and help me with my electrical??? I am going to have to throw myself on someone's mercy and MN isn't that far from Chicago.

Come visit!

Sophia

John said...[Reply]

Whatevs, Sophia! No doubt you're WAY above & beyond my elementary electrical expertise --but I'd love to meet you in Chi-town on my next visit...coffee or cocktails?

Karin Corbin said...[Reply]

A small gift for your enjoyment...

http://uwdc.library.wisc.edu/collections/DLDecArts